Saturday, February 16, 2008

Why 4 year-olds shouldn't go shoppping ...

My darling 4 year old had the day off from pre-school on Friday. I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. We loaded up the car and went shopping. Shopping isn't bad but clothes shopping is especially when it means trying on clothes.

First there is the cramming-the-cart-loaded-with-two-kids-into-the-dressing-room obstacle. Check. Then comes the trying on the clothes-that-look-good-on-the-rack-but-think-twice-about-it-doing-the-same-for-you obstacle. Check. The most mortifying is the loud-mouth-announce-to-the-world-your-mother-is-undressing-four-year-old obstacle. Check.

There is nothing like hearing, "Oh yuck! I see your boobs!" yelled by your child in a voice that can rival the sound system in the store. You then sound like a snake hissing out orders to be quiet.

To make the crammed dressing room more fun is having a nursing baby with you. The said baby gets excited when he sees your shirt lift thinking it is time to eat. So you have to manuever out of site of the baby as well as the 4 year-old or the baby's cries at being tricked will rival that personal PA system you claim as your child.

Since I can be a slow learner, I went to not one or even two stores but three. I must be a glutton for punishment. At least I found an outfit that looked as good on me as it did on the rack. It was almost worht it.

No comments: