Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Turnabout is Fair Play

Do you know what a pain it is to write sentences? Maybe that is why it is used to punish children for misdeeds. Parents too.

This past September 11th we took the kids to deliver some goodies & thank yous to a police officer and returned soldier we know. We made a stop at a ice cream place on the way home for treats. It was raining when we returned home. Grasshopper #2 was standing in the rain refusing to go in the house. What do I do? I picked up a rock and tossed it against the back of his leg and told him to get moving. He did but not before stopping and whipping around.

"Mom, did you just throw rocks?" Uh-oh! This is the kid who had to write sentences for throwing rocks at his little sister to annoy her. He also received a gash and trip to the ER for a couple of staples courtesy of an older sister defending a little sister. "I think you need to write sentences." Dang punishment! It was such a good idea when I enforced it.

So at 8:30 that night I was writing "I will not throw rocks at people" 25 times. I gave the sentences to #2 who promptly declared that they were his most prized possession and wanted it laminated. Whatever, kid. Don't push your luck. Fair play is just grand.

No comments: