Friday, April 18, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!

I was shaken awake at 4:45 this morning. Actually, I don't know what woke me, but when I did awaken I heard the items on a bookshelf in our room rattling. When they stopped, my first thought was wind or a tree fell. I checked outside. There was no wind. My hanging plant in our sunroom was still swinging. I started checking on other things. I guess I was thinking that sure felt like an earthquake. I live in the middle of cornfields so it couldn't be. We get tornadoes not earthquakes.

Oren came up saying his parakeets went beserk waking him. This isn't looking good. So I call hubby who happens to be travelling and on his way home soon. He says it sounds like an earthquake. He ought to know as he has been in one. So to relieve all doubt I googled it. I found a site and yep ...

A 5.4 earthquakes struck Illinois this morning. judging by the responses it was widely felt too. We are over 200 miles from the epicenter so fine, but what a wake up call!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Yikes! I can handle tornadoes and massive thunderstorms, but the thought of an earthquake freaks me out!

Mirz said...

I'm in the Chicago area, and apparently some people felt it up here. There was quite a buzz. Glad you're okay, if not a bit shaken (no pun intended).