Sunday, March 2, 2008

Because, because, because ...

Because I birthed them ... Because I feed, clothe and clean up after them ... Because I chauffer them ... Because I pay for their braces ...

Because of this I have the right and privilege to embarrass my children. I have the right to have some good, ol' harmeless fun at their expense. The biggest reason is I had one of those weeks. I had cranky, sick kids. I had a travelling hubby. I had two snowstorms making the cabin freezer worse. The only thing I didn't have was enough sleep.

I also have a car that can swerve while hugging the road and traction control. I had rain puddles and windows that I can control and lock. I had boredom and a desire for some impish fun at the expense of my older kids.

Hubby and I had to tag team it this morning since we have a sick child. He went for the first part of church since he had obligations there. During the second portion He came home so I could go for the last portion when I had obligations. I brought the five that stayed at church home. The baby, sick child and another poor feeling child (who came back with her daddy) stayed home. Since the weather was a downright balmy 40-something, we had the windows down while I drove home after church with the kiddos.

When I turned down the first of 3 country roads to get to my house, I rolled up my window; locked the windows and rolled the two back ones down all the way. My oldest is a smart girl (and thinks like me) so she started screaming, "No, Mom! No!" I was laughing too hard. The second oldest girl (#3) is smart but didn't quite get it since was still laughing at her older sister. She was soon screaming when I hit the puddle. I got her good. Their poor little brother who was in back behind them (we have a 3 row Freestyle) just had his coat zipped up over his head. He looked like the headless horseman.

A few puddles and bullseyes later, I was really having fun. #2 was in front so he felt safe to laugh at his sisters' expense. The girls were huddle together trying to get away from each of their open windows. I was glad to be the reason to encourage such sibling bonding. Then came our driveway and the screams became louder.

There is a low portion in our driveway with TWO puddles, one for each window. I had stopped and revved the engine to cover the yells that were coming from behind me. Then I went for it. I have had more impressive splashes, but the look in my girls' eyes was worth it. It was fun even though I was promptly told on to their father. They tried to act aghast that I would do that to them, but they like my driving and were all laughing as they were describing our drive home.

They think I am fun.

No comments: