Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mother's Day Memories

I wasn't home for Mother's Day. Most of the day was spent somewhere dealing with airplanes. Hubby and I flew out west to attend a wedding of our niece. We took Eric with us and found a good soul to care for the other six children. She hadn't done it before so that is why she agreed, I think.

After the hour delay in departure, hour and half wait for our luggage and three hour drive from Chicago's O'Hare to home, it was about midnight. It had been a long day. It wasn't so bad though that I didn't smile when I saw the goodies laid out on the kitchen counter. There were homemade cookies, homemade poems & cards, a flower and handmade gifts. My 4 yo even made me something with every return address label we owned. The house was clean. As long as I stayed out of the laundry room which one couldn't really walk through anyway, I was happy. Hubby had gotten me a card for Mother's Day. It told me to forget about the cooking, cleaning and laundry because ... it would be there tomorrow. LOL! So true!

I wanted Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner, but the time we got out of the airport the ones we found were closed. Hubby issued a raincheck to me. We had some KFC last night instead so I didn't have to worry about dinner. I even got another gift last night since my 6 yo hid my gift but forgot where. It just made the day's celebration longer.

I did miss my breakfast in bed I usually get though. I didn't miss the soggy cereal portion. When my kiddos bring me breakfast in bed, they fix the cereal first and then get the rest of the items. That means the cereal is a bit soggy. Unfortunately, my gag reflex goes into overdrive on soggy cereal. For my kids, I eat it. That is what it is all about, I guess. There are more important things being being said just not in words per se.

My family loves me even if some one did snitch one of my cookies. It was louder than the jet engine I sat next to on the flight home when everyone woke Monday morning and saw me (& hubby) home. In our house surround sound is when everyone at the table is talking at once. It is good to be home and feel loved.

No comments: