Thursday, August 9, 2012

Ramblings and Tidbits

It has been a hot summer, some days brutally with a 120 heat index.  Rain has been scarce.  We have had storms the last couple of days though providing needed moisture and cooler temperatures.  Yesterday was cool enough that Eric was jumping on the trampoline.  I should say that I didn't mind him being on the trampoline.  Eric does not care about the heat; he just loves being outdoors.  While he was outside I heard a thunderclap.  I went to the door to call him inside but need not have bothered.  He was booking it inside as fast as his legs could carry him.

The start of school is slowly approaching for both me and my kids.  They start the 17th.  I start the 20th.  I am looking forward to both events because of the routine.  Life won't be less busy, rather it will require more choreography among schedules, activities, and homework to prevent a train wreck.  I don't think the earlier wake times are going to be very popular though, and there will be a few 8:00 - 9:00 p.m. voluntary bedtimes for a few days.  I would volunteer now if my kids would cooperate.  They just raid the pantry if I go to bed before they do.

The most exciting news this past week was the loss of power.  We managed to keep power during the thunderstorm during the night, but lost it when it was clear and sunny about 8:30 the next morning.  Nothing like losing power on a Sunday morning as you are trying to get ready for church.  Something blew as there was a gunshot-sounding explosion when the power went out.  We finally had power restored about 5:00 that evening.  The one thing about losing power is the ability to get kids to stop dwaddling about a shower.  Once you explain that any hot water will shortly vanish due to the inability to heat any more, there is a run on the bathroom.  It did kill the sinner plan of a crock-pot meal ready to eat when we got home from church.  We had leftovers instead - so exciting.

See?  It was a rather dull week or in other words life as normal in this house.

No comments: